Monday, August 20, 2007

coining a new phrase

The new phrase I just invented is:

" Happier than an Amish girl with a weedwhacker "

For those of you not from these parts, there seem to be a couple of exceptions that the Amish make in their pursuit to stave off advancements in technology. How they come about these exceptions is beyond me, but the two that I've seen somewhat regularly are letting teenage boys use chainsaws and letting teenage girls use weedwhackers.

And over the years, as I've ridden my bike through the Amish countryside, I've found myself coming upon some of these young ladies in full Amish garb, usually with a pair of goggles on, weedwhacking away. And in each of those instances the girls were blissfully happy and completely unaware of my presence or anything to do with the world around them.

These reasons for this can, and should be, speculated upon by scholars and armchair philosophers as I think it might provide some insight into the nature of man. But for me, I'm happy to settle for a new saying.

And on an unrelated note, if you might find yourself too grown-up to dig Merlot and French impressionists, you'll not want to look at this.



Thankfully, I still find myself pleasantly unsophisticated.

4 comments:

Spice said...

you suck

Flick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flick said...

What did I do ?

And I was hoping you were one of the ones who had gone away !

megA said...

full Amish garb, with weedwacker, and usually barefoot--that's what gets me--barefoot weedwhacking