Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Mr. Sensitive

PennDot's reputation of being unreasonable is well earned in my experience.

My relationship with them reached an all time low when their temporary summer pothole patching crew mistakenly filled in every one of our manholes covers....and then PennDot asked that I submit a road opening permit to dig them back out. In that case, I appreciated a coworker talking me out of returning the application after using it for the same purposed as toilet tissue.

So this afternoon I got a call from a PennDot contractor telling me that there was a situation he was "concerned about". The concern was that there was a wheelchair ramp close to two storm water inlets and next to some stairs leading up to a local bar.

My question, naturally, was " what do you mean concern ? The ramp is either in violation or not in violation of the regulations ?"

He replied, " Well I can repair the road without addressing the concern, but while we have it all dug up I think its probably a good idea that guys have us fix up the corner. "

" Well then go ahead and fix it up", I said.

" I'd like to do that, but its outside of the scope of work. I can do it, but its going to cost you a couple of extra dollars.", he replied.

Then I got irritated, " Yeah I bet it will. You know I'm sick of this stuff. You guys always coming around and forcing us to comply with ridiculous regulations. I'm all for accessibility, but enough is enough. Can you or can you NOT get the ramp and the landing in ?"

" Yeah. I mean we can get the ramp and landing in, but then then the person is going to be...."

I interrupted, " Ok then you can get the ramp in. Then put the ramp in, do what's on the work order and that's in. I'm not going to be nickle and dimed to death on this job."

The guy tried again, " I don't think you understand. The stairs are right there near.."

I interrupted again, " yeah...yeah...yeah...so some fat guy in his rascal is coming home from WalMart there and he's gotta cross the street and its narrow right ? So his cart bumps the stairs, big deal, he has to back up and go around. That's for the offer..I'm not interested.

" Um...ok....would it be ok if I sent you a picture ?", he asked.

" Sure."

I'm sure that the guy thought I was a total douchebag. Meanwhile I thought I won one for the good guys. That is...until 10 minutes later when I got this....



AH...apparently stairs go both up AND down.

and apparently, I'm an asshole.

No comments: