Thursday, December 09, 2010

Passing notes

My youngest daughter has some separation anxiety in the morning. She leaves for the bus in tears each morning bumming out herself and her mother.

In an attempt to provide her some sense of control, I suggested that maybe she could try putting on a happy face and trying to control her emotions for her mother's sake.

" It's hard'" sniff sniff, " but I'll try Daddy."

This morning she woke up, had breakfast, got dressed then locked herself in the bathroom.

My wife knocked on the door, " honey why are you locking yourself in the bathroom ?"

" I can let you see me or hear me upset"

" Well this isn't going to work. I want to say goodbye to you."

"If you want to talk to me Mommy then slip me a note under the door. Its for your own good."

Sure enough they passed notes back and forth through the door crack until the bus came. I'm not sure if I'm making it better or worse.

No comments: