Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bah-stun

I won a Red Sox had in a wager with a friend from Boston.

Occasionally I wear it. Not because I like the Sox, but because my hair is thinning ( thinning, not balding goddammit ), so I tend to wear a lot of hats.

Anyway, every time I've worn the thing, random people have come up to me and said something. Occasionally it's a Yankees fan walking past who says something like " screw you homo" or " ha ha C.C. smoked you last night" , but I'm used to Yankees fans randomly yelling at me so I really never notice.

But most of the time its Boston fans who pull me aside and ask, "what ya think about next year ? As I usually forget that I'm wearing the hat, having a stranger acost me and ask me random questions usually freaks me out. I don't know what it is with these folks, but when a Boston fan sees a Boston hat it makes me feel like I accidentally flashed a gang sign at a rap concert. It's like they just realized I'm the grand master at a Masonic lodge.

In the end, I usually reply, " same as last year." because even when I do realize what they're talking about, I don't know shit about baseball. And for whatever reason, that seems to do the trick.

1 comment:

Adam Myerson said...

I get this all the time, and I have B's hats, Celtics hats, and Bruins hats. I think it's because as Boston sports fans, we're not used to people outside of Boston being fans of our teams. So when we see another Sox hat, we automatically assume that person is from Boston, and serious about the teams. I'm more the latter and not the former. WTF do I know about baseball?