Monday, January 23, 2012

Movie Review

I'm a movie nut. I watch at least two movies a week. I subscribe to crackle, netflicks, blockbuster, and rack up the charges on comcast pay-per-view.

Insomnia is a bitch.

The inherent problem is that I've exhausted the number of watchable movies, burned through most of the rentable foreign films, and am well on my way to making my way through the classics. Along the way, I've spend far too many hours watching pure shit. Sometimes you need to dig through a lot of dirt to find a nuggest of gold.

I figure I'd share with you some of the better films I've seen lately.


The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy. A-


Swedish with subtitles. I enjoyed all three of these movies. The pacing of the movie was such that the subtitles we not distracting in any way. The first of these has been redone win English starring Daniel Craig. I haven't seen that version, but word is that it's pretty consistent with the original.


Ides of March. A


George Clooney, Ryan Goslling, Phillip Seymore Hoffman, and Paul Giamatti. I figured that this was either going to be excellent or self indulgent drivel. I was happy to find it the former. Timely movie with the election cycle in full bloom.


Knuckle. A

IMDB descibes this as: An epic 12-year journey into the brutal and secretive world of Irish Traveler bare-knuckle fighting. This film follows a history of violent feuding between rival clans.

Need I say more ?

Pearl Jam 20. B+

Great interviews, footage, and background stories. This movie gave me a greater appreciation for the grunge players and a fun trip back into the 90's. It ran a little long for my tastes, but work the rental.

Thumbsucker. B

Fun little indie film from 2005, just coming out as a rental. This is Mike Mils full length directorial debut. Its just about what you'd expect...a nice little coming of age story. Tilda Swinton is, as usual, amazing.

Moneyball. B+

Fun. Brad Pitt is solid. Jonah Hill plays Jonah Hill. Good flick.

No comments: