Monday, February 06, 2006

40

I have never been able to determind why 40 was such a big number for the bible.

40 days and 40 nights doesn't seem to correlate to any particular event. It's not a number that easily divides into the year, has nothing to do with the moon's cycle ( or consequently a woman's cycle which is a weird correlation to be discussed another time), and you really can't grow anything in that time.

The best i can figure is that 40 days and 40 nights is not a short amount of time and not really a long amount of time. It's just about the right amount of time. And that works enough for me.

So I'm off online poker for 40 days and 40 nights starting yesterday.

And I'm contemplating going off the sauce for that same period of time, but I'm realistic enough to know that I might need the medicinal effect of the booze to help me shake the poker habit.

Hopefully the resultant angst will cause enough dissatisfaction to generate a little content for my writing. I find I work best slightly angry.

No comments: