Wednesday, January 30, 2008

baby girl story #1

I pick up the youngest girl first and then we drive over to another school the pick up Hot Gril and The Boy.

When we get to school #2 I try to make a game of it. Baby Girl and I walk in on the sidewalk on either all cracks or no cracks, and when we get inside we walk on either all light squares or all dark squares. Baby Girl takes great pride in being the one who chooses what we do each day.

We got out of the van and she declared " ALL CRACKS " and we carefully traced a path along the cracks, down the side walk, and towards the front door.

We reached the front door at around the same time as an black woman who there to pick up her kids. I broke ranks and politely opened the door to let the woman in. Baby Girl was concentrating so hard on staying on the cracks didn't notice the woman and as she got to the door almost bumped into her.

Baby Girl startled, looked up at the woman, then looked up at me and emphaticly declared, " WHITES ONLY DADDY ! WHITES ONLY !"

I saw the woman pause and her face drop. Then she quickly started hustling into the building.

I acted as quickly as I could, " YES BABY GIRL ! GOOD IDEA STEP ONLY UPON THE SQUARES THAT ARE WHITE IN COLOR.....not, of course, that there's anything wrong with the brown squares...they're just as....ahh...yeah, that's it good job."

Thankfully, the woman gave me a knowing smile and we went on our ways.

No comments: