Thursday, March 06, 2008

Pete Schwetty

The president of the PTO couldn't make it so I was recruited to welcome the parents of the new kindegarten class to the school on Tuesday.

In a previous blog I explained the PTO difficulties that I've had, but I felt like this one was going to be different. I knew what I was talking about, I had plenty of notification, I had time to prepare...all was good. Until I got up there.

Typcially I have no problem speaking in public. When I was a teacher and when I was a coach I did it all day long. Anyone who knows me personally will attest to the fact that getting me to stop talking might be a problem, but rambling onto an audience is one of my strong suits. But for some reasons this PTO thing has me rattled.

The first couple of words out of my mouth were a bit broke...perhaps the older readers will understand when I say they were " Bobby Brady like". But I did a good job of shaking that off. I took a deep breath, continues, and as they words started coming out more easily, I was finally able to relax. WHEW. I little joke here a little change of inflection there, and I was back to my old tricks.

Thats when the sweating started.

I felt the first few drops and tried to ignore them. Then a few more came and the only thought in my head was " STOP SWEATING". Apparently the "stop sweating" thought triggers the same portion of your brain as "don't laugh" or " don't orgasm yet" and therefore I started sweating at double the previous rate.



By the time I got done I needed a snorkle.

Next time I'm bringing some 1970's NBA headgear like Ben Wallace.



I'll be the belle of the ball.

No comments: