Wednesday, June 03, 2009

you asked for it

I umpired the little league game last night.

My son was up at the top of the 6th and the first pitch was belt high and slightly outside..." STRIKE ! "

The boy stepped out of the box and stuck his arms out with an annoyed shrug, " are you kidding me ?!" The coach was right on him, " don't argue with the umpire...even if he is your dad."

The bottom of the inning he was pitching, and I was umpiring from out at the mound which gave us a chance to catch up. " I can't believe you called that ball a strike, it was outside. "

" It hit the corner." I answered.

" The corner of the batters box maybe", of all the things I've passed on to the boy, the worst thing I've taught him is how to be a sarcastic smart ass.

Three pitches later he threw one on the outside corner of the plate. I allowed for a dramatic pause... " BALL !" I yelled. Then under under my breath, " don't argue wit the ump....especially if he is your Dad."

He swears that the ball he missed, thrown back from the catcher, was entirely an accident.

3 comments:

Kevo said...

I'm pretty sure its pronounced "Strrrrrrrrrike!" if you're an umpire. At least try to play the part.

mathbach said...

Kevo - maybe you could find employment as an ump? i'd like to see you trying to crouch/hide behind the catcher.

Kevo said...

only if shes hot