Thursday, December 06, 2007

You thought I'd have learned by now

On the way over to get a cup of coffee a friend made the following observation, " A girl who is pretty and wears glasses, usually has a surprisingly striking effect when you first see her with the glasses off."

So, like the idiot I am, when we walked into the Starbucks I said to the cute young girl behind the counter, " Hi, hey we were just talking about girls with glasses."

Naturally, she responded playfully, " Yeah ? Whatya say."

And it became one of those E.F. Hutton commercials where everyone stops what they're doing and leans in to hear what's said next.....adding to the awkwardness of it all.

" I....errrrr....well, its that....when a pretty girl wears glasses....", now I was in full blush, " ...she's even prettier when she takes her glasses off..."

And then for good measure I added a creepy old man sort of, "heh...heh...heh".

She just starred at me. Not a drop of expression. For what seemed like an eternity.

And this is where I never learn. Instead of just letting the awkward moment pass I always feel the need to say something...anything...and usually the worst thing.

And so I continued, "....I find the same effect applies to her pants...and shirt."

Now I have to get my coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

No comments: