Tuesday, February 10, 2009

droppin the old ka-nowledge


After a lengthy hiatus I finally have enough fitness to return to some of the local group rides.

About 2 hours into it on Sunday I looked down to see my front wheel sandwiched in six inches of space with someone's rear wheel on one side and gravel drop off on the other, and I risked life and limb to hide from the 20 mph wind blasting us into the gutter from left to right.

Finally the entire line moved left to avoid another one of the giant shit soup puddles of cow dung and snow melt and I had the opening I needed. I rode through the puddle, spraying myself and my water bottles with cow feces and using the draft to move up in the line.

When I got near the front I looked over to an old friend....both of us wet, tired, covered in mud and crap, and flat out fighting the wind...and said, " I can't believe I stayed away from this for 4 years....this is great !"

He laughed, thinking I was being sarcastic.

I wasn't.

Assuming I don't die from hoof and mouth disease, I'm already looking forward to next week.

4 comments:

scott haverstick said...

have i told you lately that your economic "theories" are
absurd?

Burt Friggin' Hoovis said...

Yeah, we just need to elect the right philosopher/king, then do exactly what he says, and everything will be A-OK.

He'll even make our white guilt go away.

Right Will...?

Thanks,
Burt

scott haverstick said...

would you please acknowledge my earlier observation now, flick? you know, the burt/flick thing.

JMP said...

Marc Demeyer wasn't in that group fighting you for a spot in the echelon, was he? B/c that's where I thought you were going with this...