Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Caroling Report

I woke Friday with rain in the forecast, and sure enough, at noon is started raining.

By the time I got off work, the tempature had dropped and we were involved in a good old fashion winter downpour.

"Fantastic", I thought, " I'm getting out of the caroling."

We I got home I was in for a surprise...."Oh, we're still going.", Mrs. Flick informed me.

Before I could protest, she continued, " We're going to ONE home. Mrs. So&So is very sick and this might be her last Christmas on earth, so we're all going over and bring her some Christmas Joy. Do you have a PROBLEM with that ?"

" No ma'am." , FOILED !

So at 7:00 pm I went into the garage and got out to 6 foot high and 6 foot wide deck umbrella, gathered up all the kids, and set out into the driving rain.

Now to make matters more interesting, Mrs. So&so lives a good 400 yards away, outside of the neighborhood. So we met the other families at a neutral location and set out. While trying to herd the 14 or so kids, and avoid puddles, and try to stay dry in the horizonal rain, we made the trip over to Mrs. So&so's house.

As we started up the driveway I got a funny feeling. Things there looked kinda quiet. So I asked, " Umm, did anyone call ahead ?"

A voice answered from the darkness, " No, I just figured with her being sick and all, that they'd be home."

We stood on the doorstep, voices ready...shivering...and waited....and waited....and waited....Well, she figured wrong.

No one was home. They'd all gone out.

After a pause, one of the women started to say, " Oh...well since were already out here and ready to sing why don't we just stop at......"

" Stop at" was the last thing I heard as I started jogging to the car.

"Merry Christmas suckers", I mumbled to myself as I broke out in full stride.

Twenty minutes laster I was playing poker.

No comments: