Friday, March 06, 2009

Fathers and Sons

I took the boy out fishing last night and when we got home my wife asked how it went.

It went like everything else we do.

Golf - We walk around with me yelling at him to stop walking across the sandtraps or stop dragging his bag across the green.

Baseball - We have batting practice until I start yelling at him for letting go of the bat.

Video games - We play until I start yelling at him for having his fingers up his nose and then sticking them into the bag of chips.

and now fishing - which constitutes me yelling at him to stop throwing his bait into the only tree within three miles of where we're fishing.

I'd characterize it as him having his head up his ass, but I suspect that he doesn't have enough of an attention span to get any further than bending over before he either got distracted by something else or tripped over his own gigantic feet.

I love the boy to death, but he's doing a hell of a job at making me understand what my father was pissed off about all the time when I was a kid.

2 comments:

scott haverstick said...

there is one constant here - you yelling. you and the boy should visit a shrink and "talk".

JMP said...

haha. Don't blow the chance to be a good father, whatever that means in this day and age. I remember my dad as seemingly pissed off all the time as well when I was a kid (not that my brother and I didn't occasionally give him good reason to be).

Today I found a couple of old photos, one in which the old man is actually smiling whilst at the amusement park with my brother and me, but it could have been because he was calculating how much time was left before he could drive us home and get back to his landscaping or model railroad. ;)

Alas, there's nothing I wouldn't give though to have a day with him now. Just a day. He croaked the day before my 14th birthday back in '89, and his death was the catalyst for my starting cycling - and we all know how that finished up...