Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Training week

For the first time in 4-5 years I've started a regular regimen of training. Training for "what" hasn't really been determined, but I've been consistently riding 3x, running 2x, and swimming 2x, for a total of about 8 hours a week since October. I've lost some weight, I've seen some improvement in all areas, and I'm generally encouraged.

What I had somehow forgotten over those 4+ years was the other parts of the training week that goes along with figuring out time to ride or run...the obsessive compulsive part, the pain part, and the " this isn't any fun" part, among others. Now that I've into a regular routine, I thought I'd share with your the other routine.

Monday - I was up feeling pretty decent. Usually I've done two long hard days over the weekend and I wake up Monday feeling fresher than I expect. Go down stairs, make coffee and start trying to talk myself into not getting on the scale,

" Do NOT get on the scale....you're going to be swollen from the weekend and the number is gong to be high. Do NOT get on the scale"

Then I have a cup of coffee. Watch a little bit of Mike and Mike on ESPN2, then I go upstairs and get on the scale.

The rest of the day is being depressed about how much I weigh.

Tuesday
- Wake up a little melancholy because I made it 14 hours yesterday on nothing but coffee and one slice of toast, but woke up in the middle of the night starving and ate half a tub ( the other half left over from the previous Monday) of Turkey Hill ice cream.

By 2 pm, I'm totally sore and exhausted, the weekend is finally starting to catch up to me. I respond to this by doing 1.5 hours of really hard intervals, eating 6 ibuprofen, and staring at the ceiling all night.

Wednesday - The urinating starts. A weekends worth of swelling and an absurd ammt of coffee come together in what I like to refer to as Whizzin Wednesday. I pee every 20 mins all day long and try to convince my co-workers that I'm really not a coke fiend.

Thursday
- Wake up and put hand cream on the hands which are now chapped from washing them every 20 minutes the day before. Get on scale and see that I've lost 3.5 lbs in 4 days. Elated, I celebrate my good dieting that evening by eating 8 extra slices of pizza then consider the the merits and social stigma of bulimics.

Friday
- Friday is mostly spent telling myself that I'm so exhausted that I really do deserve a day off and that I shouldn't feel guilty about it. In the end I compromise by doing a light workout, then feeling half guilty about it.

Saturday and Sunday - Coffeekidstuffworkouteatvegrinserepeat.

No comments: