Friday, June 23, 2006

What if Tiger Woods only played pitch and putt ?

Played pub poker again.

The first hour I just sat there. I played on hand and won it. And in almost every instance I could accurrately predict what the players involved in the hand had. All I had to do was wait for some cards and I was going to start to clean up.

Then the moved me to another table.

At my new table was a young kid with a pile of chips so high you could barely see him behind it. He was brash, cocky, friendly, and had a polite southern manmerism. To complete the scene he had a cute young girl hanging on his arm. He looked almost exactly like Tom Cruise in The Color of Money.

This kid was good. Real good. The first hand I was there he busted out two people. In the next two rotations he dominated the table, losing only one hand and busting people out left and right.

For some reason he gravitated toward me. And since I didn't play one hand the whole time, we had a chance to chit chat about his hands and as good as he was, I thought I had a pretty decent read on the way he played. Again I was just waiting for some cards.

After a while of just waiting I was starting to get short stacked. Finally, on the button I got KQ....not a great hand but I wanted to finally see a flop if I could. So when it got to me I raised to 20 chips...which was the standard raise. Since I had been sitting there not playing everyone respected my raise and they all folded around...until it came to the kid.

Now I purposely didn't do anything different...didn't give off any tell that I can figure out...but the kid paused for a second...smiled....looked at me and said, " Friend, I have an ace...and I think you have ...hmmmm...King Queen..which makes me a slight favorite...so I'm going to put you all in."

King Freakin Queen. He named my hand EXACTLY. Without having any information that I can come up with. Thats like babe Ruth calling his homer. I mean WTF ?!?!?

What the hell is that kid doing playing pub poker ? I mean I'm playing pub poker because I'm poor, and married, and I suck. That kid should be on the next bus to Atlantic City...and only there long enough to get his ass to Vegas.

The whole experience has me tripped out. I'm freaked that I have some tell that I don't know about, or that the cards are marked, or that the kid has psychic powers.

No comments: