Sunday, April 09, 2006

What are you, a diabetic ? - Danny Noonan's Dad

Found another new game. Two tables, 16 guys in a ramshackled home just outside the city.

Walked in to a guy in his 30's playing heads up and berating a middle aged woman, " How can you play those cards ? You're terrible ! You're so lucky ! What a bunch of bullshit. I'm still $120 up from last week anyway, so what."

Then the guy pooped up introduced himself, gestured to the woman and said, " I'd like to introduce you to my mother."

It was quite the scene.

I won't bore you with the poker, but I do have to tell you the most interesting thing I saw. Ron and I were sitting in the kitchen having some chips and beer with "Mom". After she finished her beer, she stood up a little wozzy...which was odd as the only thing I saw her drink besides the one beer was some soda. She she stumbled around and fished through a pile of crap on the counter and pull out a zippered up med kit.

When she unzipped the kit, I was surprised to see that it was a glucometer. And she matter-a-factly tested herself with Ron and I sitting there. So I asked, " how are your numbers ?".

"Not good. I'm over 300."

" OVER 300 ?!?!?!?!"

" Yeah. The three sodas was probably too much. I usually only have two. Then when you throw the beer on top of it, sometimes that..you know.", then she gestured by raising he finger toward the ceiling and making the sound of a rocket taking off.

My eye must have been bugged out of my head "you...you better take a shot...right now !"

" Bah...I don't take shots. I take pills sometimes."

Ron and I looked at each other..." Well you better take some pills ! You want to go for a walk or something ? Ron and I can take you out and walk it off a bit ?"

This woman was hard as nails, " Nah....walk ? I'll be fine. All I need is a cigarette to level me off and I"ll be fine"

And with that she grabbed her pack, went out on the porch.......... and 'leveled off'.

Now who said cigarettes were bad for you ?

1 comment:

mathbach said...

nice reference to Noonan's dad